I figured I would show off my MadAss as well, and see what you all think so far. I have a terrible tainted history with this bike that is partly my fault, and partly Lifan's. So here it is! Currently, I have a Lifan 150cc Daytona style engine I purchased from FTP years ago, prior to them drilling the top engine mount and installing the 3-phase AC generator. I was one of the lucky ones that had to figure that out all on my own when the MadAss 50 and the Lifan 150 were new to the USA. I immediately sold the Sachs 50cc engine and didn't keep any of the parts I really needed. I have the clutch lever off of my old 1981 Suzuki GS850G, a Mikuni VM26, K&N with the precharger, the "V8 speed source" exhaust system, I reinstalled the undertail to the factory exhaust mount, fabricated a simple custom oil cooler setup, painted some of the aluminum parts, removed the fenders, removed and bypassed the kickstand safety, and fabricated an exhaust can mount out of a piece of aluminum pipe.
Now for my bikes history!
I got real excited when I bought the bike and immediately ordered the Lifan 150 from FTP and the exhaust because it sounded the best of any I found at the time on YouTube. So began my long agonizing time with the Lifan. Like I mentioned earlier, I think I was one of the pioneers to installing this engine, because all of the things that FTP and some others offer from the shop now, are things I dealt with and discussed with Jay over the phone a couple of times.
First casualty - I did not know there was such a significant difference between the Lifan 140 and 150 at the time, and purchased a performance camshaft from Dr. ATV. The engine ran for a while, then finally burned up all of its oil. I didn't notice it until I changed the oil and it started smoking real bad after starting again. I disassembled the engine and discovered that the intake valve was impacting the piston at the valve relief which also caused he piston to rotate and destroy its skirt on the opposite side. Needless to say, the piston was bad, and lucky me, there were no parts for the Lifan 150 yet, only complete engines. So I bought a YX160 from AHPMinis.
Second casualty - I installed the YX and couldn't get the damn thing to start, and after many hours of electrical troubleshooting, I discovered that the silly "performance CDI" I purchased wasn't working, and I had sold the original one with the factory engine. So, I procured a new factory CDI and the engine ran like a top - for about 20 miles. I was in Seattle at the time, and when returning to the ship on Alaskan way, the engine lost power and died. When I tried to kick start it again, there were nasty metal-on-metal noises. I disassembled that engine and discovered that there was a catastrophic failure of the wrist pin due to lack of lubrication. I still don't know exactly why this happened since the bike had the correct oil level, and the oil was new. Nonetheless, I had a second POS in pieces on the bench. I think that the issue was some sort of oil system failure, and was completely sporadic, and not necessarily a reflection of the engine's quality.
Third casualty - Finally parts became available for the Lifan 150 and I purchased a piston that was pulled from another engine at FTP. I was so happy! I installed it kicked the engine over twice and the primary kickstart gear behind the clutch broke. I think I cried.
Fourth casualty - I purchased new kick start gears from FTP. I installed them. Meanwhile, somewhere in the mix of engines I got the flywheels for the single phase and 3-phase stators mixed up and had a hell of a time getting the timing correct so I could go ride my MadAss. These flywheels have minutely different timing marks and aren't always compatible with other engines. I finally figured it out and rode it for a while - like a mile. The engine died. After much troubleshooting, I discovered I had spun the key for the flywheel, most likely because I didn't tighten it enough. I purchased a pair of new keys from Dr. ATV and installed one.
Fifth casualty - I went to test out my MadAss, because I finally had it all figured out! Before I could say "I love Lifan engines!" I broke my second kick start gear - same one as last. Awesome.
Sixth casualty - Got the new kick start gear and installed it after I found that the gears from the YX are not compatible - I just had to try to see if it would work. So, this time I got a couple of miles out of it, then I spun the second flyweel key. HAHA! I knew just how to fix it, because I'm the man! Luckily I had ordered two last time, and a flywheel holding tool. So, I installed that today.
Seventh, and most recent casualty - I was slinging wrenches like I designed the Lifan! Cloud 9! This is great! I will finally have a functioning MadAss to show off to you guys - oh yeah, and one I can actually ride for real now! The Lifan had other plans for me. I got the flywheel key in and torqued the flywheel to German specs - Gutentight - and I was off to start the engine. It started first kick and purred even though it was cold - the exhaust sounds like a large displacement thumper. I began to tune the carb and the engine died. I kicked once, I kicked twice, then the fucking kick start shaft broke! Pardon my french, my wife is French-Canadian - and I'm a sailor.
I love my MadAss
I hate my Lifan
I will fix the Lifan, again.
This is the end of my depressing story - for now.
Now for pictures! Yay!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MadAssinMass
on 31 Jan 2012 18:37, edited 1 time in total.