Look Here For The Latest Madass Army and Community News.

MadAssinMass's MadAss 150 (for now)

Pics. Pics. Pics. Show off your pride and share images or video of your own bike.

Moderators: Greg, MilwaukeeMadass, MadMaster

MadAssinMass's MadAss 150 (for now)

Postby MadAssinMass » 02 Apr 2011 12:44

Hello all,

I figured I would show off my MadAss as well, and see what you all think so far. I have a terrible tainted history with this bike that is partly my fault, and partly Lifan's. So here it is! Currently, I have a Lifan 150cc Daytona style engine I purchased from FTP years ago, prior to them drilling the top engine mount and installing the 3-phase AC generator. I was one of the lucky ones that had to figure that out all on my own when the MadAss 50 and the Lifan 150 were new to the USA. I immediately sold the Sachs 50cc engine and didn't keep any of the parts I really needed. I have the clutch lever off of my old 1981 Suzuki GS850G, a Mikuni VM26, K&N with the precharger, the "V8 speed source" exhaust system, I reinstalled the undertail to the factory exhaust mount, fabricated a simple custom oil cooler setup, painted some of the aluminum parts, removed the fenders, removed and bypassed the kickstand safety, and fabricated an exhaust can mount out of a piece of aluminum pipe.

Now for my bikes history!

I got real excited when I bought the bike and immediately ordered the Lifan 150 from FTP and the exhaust because it sounded the best of any I found at the time on YouTube. So began my long agonizing time with the Lifan. Like I mentioned earlier, I think I was one of the pioneers to installing this engine, because all of the things that FTP and some others offer from the shop now, are things I dealt with and discussed with Jay over the phone a couple of times.

First casualty - I did not know there was such a significant difference between the Lifan 140 and 150 at the time, and purchased a performance camshaft from Dr. ATV. The engine ran for a while, then finally burned up all of its oil. I didn't notice it until I changed the oil and it started smoking real bad after starting again. I disassembled the engine and discovered that the intake valve was impacting the piston at the valve relief which also caused he piston to rotate and destroy its skirt on the opposite side. Needless to say, the piston was bad, and lucky me, there were no parts for the Lifan 150 yet, only complete engines. So I bought a YX160 from AHPMinis.

Second casualty - I installed the YX and couldn't get the damn thing to start, and after many hours of electrical troubleshooting, I discovered that the silly "performance CDI" I purchased wasn't working, and I had sold the original one with the factory engine. So, I procured a new factory CDI and the engine ran like a top - for about 20 miles. I was in Seattle at the time, and when returning to the ship on Alaskan way, the engine lost power and died. When I tried to kick start it again, there were nasty metal-on-metal noises. I disassembled that engine and discovered that there was a catastrophic failure of the wrist pin due to lack of lubrication. I still don't know exactly why this happened since the bike had the correct oil level, and the oil was new. Nonetheless, I had a second POS in pieces on the bench. I think that the issue was some sort of oil system failure, and was completely sporadic, and not necessarily a reflection of the engine's quality.

Third casualty - Finally parts became available for the Lifan 150 and I purchased a piston that was pulled from another engine at FTP. I was so happy! I installed it kicked the engine over twice and the primary kickstart gear behind the clutch broke. I think I cried.

Fourth casualty - I purchased new kick start gears from FTP. I installed them. Meanwhile, somewhere in the mix of engines I got the flywheels for the single phase and 3-phase stators mixed up and had a hell of a time getting the timing correct so I could go ride my MadAss. These flywheels have minutely different timing marks and aren't always compatible with other engines. I finally figured it out and rode it for a while - like a mile. The engine died. After much troubleshooting, I discovered I had spun the key for the flywheel, most likely because I didn't tighten it enough. I purchased a pair of new keys from Dr. ATV and installed one.

Fifth casualty - I went to test out my MadAss, because I finally had it all figured out! Before I could say "I love Lifan engines!" I broke my second kick start gear - same one as last. Awesome.

Sixth casualty - Got the new kick start gear and installed it after I found that the gears from the YX are not compatible - I just had to try to see if it would work. So, this time I got a couple of miles out of it, then I spun the second flyweel key. HAHA! I knew just how to fix it, because I'm the man! Luckily I had ordered two last time, and a flywheel holding tool. So, I installed that today.

Seventh, and most recent casualty - I was slinging wrenches like I designed the Lifan! Cloud 9! This is great! I will finally have a functioning MadAss to show off to you guys - oh yeah, and one I can actually ride for real now! The Lifan had other plans for me. I got the flywheel key in and torqued the flywheel to German specs - Gutentight - and I was off to start the engine. It started first kick and purred even though it was cold - the exhaust sounds like a large displacement thumper. I began to tune the carb and the engine died. I kicked once, I kicked twice, then the fucking kick start shaft broke! Pardon my french, my wife is French-Canadian - and I'm a sailor.

I love my MadAss

I hate my Lifan

I will fix the Lifan, again.

This is the end of my depressing story - for now.

Now for pictures! Yay!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MadAssinMass on 31 Jan 2012 18:37, edited 1 time in total.

Rating:15.38%

MadAssinMass

Liked Posts: 2 times
Posts Liked: 6 times

Re: MadAssinMass's MadAss 150 (for now)

Postby MadAssinMass » 02 Apr 2011 12:45

More photos!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MadAssinMass

Postby MadAssinMass » 02 Apr 2011 12:46

And a couple more!
MadAssinMass

Postby Cbinvb » 02 Apr 2011 17:25

Probly the most depressing story I've ever heard. I applaud your tenacity. Lesser men would have sold the business buy now and bought a Vespa. Glad to have a you and your intimate knowledge of Lifans. :)
Madass 2.0 a work in progress.
Cbinvb
Gearhead

Liked Posts: 46 times
Posts Liked: 74 times

Postby puretexan » 02 Apr 2011 18:33

I felt the same way. I'm not sure of your financial situation , but after a couple of big problems , I would dump it in the first canal I ran across and buy something else that would work.
puretexan
Fanatic

Liked Posts: 7 times
Posts Liked: 36 times

Postby MadAssinMass » 02 Apr 2011 20:26

Well, to be honest with you guys, I just can't concede to defeat just yet. I must be honest, though, after what happened today with the kick start shaft, there is still a screw driver stuck in the wall which expressed just a little of my frustration. Ultimately, I would like to rebuild the YX I have in pieces, but in the meantime, I think I will get the Lifan running to hold me over until I can make some sort of monster out of the YX.
MadAssinMass

Postby MadAssinMass » 02 Apr 2011 20:29

puretexan wrote:I felt the same way. I'm not sure of your financial situation , but after a couple of big problems , I would dump it in the first canal I ran across and buy something else that would work.

I am definitely not dumping much money in the bike. Buying the YX was probably the biggest post-casualty purchase I have made as of yet. I do all of the tear downs myself, which I'm sure saves a couple of bucks. I'll tell you, I know those two engines inside and out, and I can mount and dismount and engine on a MadAss like a mofo!
MadAssinMass

Postby Stewped » 02 Apr 2011 22:02

You Know MadAssinMass -- As depressing as that story is -- It is really well written -- Really had me captivated {was just reading it line for line} Who knows you might beable to get a movie deal out of that story.

Now I have heard of the early yx engine having an issue with the kick started gear breaking { I have the 3rd generation yx engine in my bike}

Not to piss you off anymore , however I have the yx160cc engine in my bike and I really am impressed with the performance and durabilty -- I just beat the shit out of this bike and really havnt had any issues with it {I have approx. 1,000 miles on the engine now} -- The engine I purchase came in a kit from FTP and the only thing I changed out was that stupid Molkt carb {just never could get the pilot circuit right} to a Mikuni vm26 carb {huge difference} I run with the stock exhaust can and this thing really screams {lol for mercy}

Well I bet you can tear an engine apart and put it back together really fast now though -- Even though it has been a frustrating experiance for you , your story was really well written and im glad you shared it with everyone -- Have to give you a posts likes on your thread just as the way you wrote it all out {not that I think its great for all the suffering you have had to endure} :text-+1:
Yeah -- OK -- So I may have a huge plastic head -- So What
Stewped
Sparks

Liked Posts: 57 times
Posts Liked: 92 times

Postby Iowa Ass » 03 Apr 2011 00:27

Sweet bike! I have had 2 of the lifan 150cc I never had the gears fail but I did brake 2 kick start shafts. There is a trick to starting these big bore motors that run the higher compression. You cant just kick them like you would a Jap bike or a Harley you need to make sure the motor is TDC then push nice and slow 1 click over TDC then kick it over. There is a few vids on youtube that show what I am saying. and for your Yx woe's there was probably a blockage some where some time this can be from bad craftsmenship or just a small peace of some thing getting stuck.
Iowa Ass
Fanatic

Liked Posts: 1 time
Posts Liked: 42 times

Postby Iowa Ass » 03 Apr 2011 00:38

Stewped wrote:You Know MadAssinMass -- As depressing as that story is -- It is really well written -- Really had me captivated {was just reading it line for line} Who knows you might beable to get a movie deal out of that story.

Now I have heard of the early yx engine having an issue with the kick started gear breaking { I have the 3rd generation yx engine in my bike}

Not to piss you off anymore , however I have the yx160cc engine in my bike and I really am impressed with the performance and durabilty -- I just beat the shit out of this bike and really havnt had any issues with it {I have approx. 1,000 miles on the engine now} -- The engine I purchase came in a kit from FTP and the only thing I changed out was that stupid Molkt carb {just never could get the pilot circuit right} to a Mikuni vm26 carb {huge difference} I run with the stock exhaust can and this thing really screams {lol for mercy}

Well I bet you can tear an engine apart and put it back together really fast now though -- Even though it has been a frustrating experience for you , your story was really well written and im glad you shared it with everyone -- Have to give you a posts likes on your thread just as the way you wrote it all out {not that I think its great for all the suffering you have had to endure} :text-+1:

Yo stew you should try this carb out http://www.tboltusa.com/store/mikuni-tm ... 944c38e7c7 I can guarantee you will feel the difference they all so sell the the TB170cc kit that will make your 160cc a 184cc monster :auto-biker: I know i gave you a link for tbolt but you should use Fire Power Minis I have better vibes with them LOL.
Iowa Ass
Fanatic

Liked Posts: 1 time
Posts Liked: 42 times

Postby MadAssinMass » 03 Apr 2011 07:00

Stewped wrote:Now I have heard of the early yx engine having an issue with the kick started gear breaking { I have the 3rd generation yx engine in my bike}

Just to clarify, Stewped, I broke the kick start gears in my Lifan. I do believe the YX is a superior engine, and ultimately would rather use it. But, I need a new piston, most likely a crank because I had to hammer the wrist pin out of it, and possibly a new jug. There are small scratches that I can just feel with my beat up hands, and they might not be bad enough to refer to them as "scoring". So I figured I'll just save my pennies, and maybe build it as a large displacement 4v YX monster!
MadAssinMass

Postby MadAssinMass » 03 Apr 2011 07:04

Iowa Ass wrote:There is a trick to starting these big bore motors that run the higher compression.

Thanks for the insight, I really do appreciate it, and I wish I would have learned this a long time ago.

Fortunately, I do this now; unfortunately, it took me this long and this many casualties to figure it out.
MadAssinMass

Postby Greg » 03 Apr 2011 08:15

Iowa Ass wrote:There is a trick to starting these big bore motors that run the higher compression.

I'm curious about this technique, and am wondering if it is what I normally do on those occasions when I use the kickstart.

1. I gently press the kickstart lever down until it becomes tense and then release the lever back to it's original position. If the kickstart reaches the bottom without any significant tension, I do the same once more.

2. Then I do a firm kick.
Greg

Liked Posts: 123 times
Posts Liked: 149 times

Postby dave » 03 Apr 2011 10:03

i live by one rule,,,if it ant broke dont fix it,,ill wait till something happens to my 70cc befor i go bigger,,,sucks what happended but you know what,,,your a 4 stoke honda clone single cyl pro by now and thats more than most of us can say so in the end you learned alot and walked away from this with information and know how most of us wish we had
2008 amg nitro with ftp 125cc
dave
Contributor

Posts Liked: 8 times

Postby MilwaukeeMadass » 04 Apr 2011 07:33

Greg wrote:1. I gently press the kickstart lever down until it becomes tense and then release the lever back to it's original position. If the kickstart reaches the bottom without any significant tension, I do the same once more.

2. Then I do a firm kick.

I caught on to this too and have gotten into the habit now. Granted I have a stock set-up but before I did this it seemed like all I was doing was kicking down into an empty bucket.
Raymond - Forum/Website Admin
2010 125 Madass "Hugo Stiglitz" | Graphite | Stage I Kit w/ Asspipe
Bring Back The 50
MilwaukeeMadass
Site Admin

Liked Posts: 125 times
Posts Liked: 114 times

Postby milfblaster » 04 Apr 2011 13:24

I start it at the spot right after TDC. First I find TDC, then I press really slowly but hard. There's a spot where it will stop if you're careful. It feels like half a click or something. I think that's the safest place to kick from. I stripped a gear on my 155 once. I must have shut the engine down right at TDC and let it sit out in freezing cold weather for a few hours. The kickstarter didn't want to budge but I kicked it anyway like a dumbass. I should have put it in gear and bumped it a bit first.

milfblaster

Liked Posts: 14 times
Posts Liked: 4 times

Return to Gallery