Look Here For The Latest Madass Army and Community News.

mysterious oil leak

Topics and discussions about upgrading, modifying and/or repairing the MadAss.

Moderators: Greg, MilwaukeeMadass, MadMaster

mysterious oil leak

Postby chimpy » 27 Nov 2009 01:11

Hi, im looking for some help with a mysterios oil leak my 125 has developed. After i've been for a ride, 1 or 2 drops of oil will come out near the bottom left of the motor sort of near the kick stand, then nothing till i ride it again. I have now been to the mechanic 4 times, and he has replaced the stator gear seal and the sump bung washers? x2 but it is still leaking. He has been doing the work for free for me and im starting to feel a bit sorry for him, he must hate seeing me pull in!! I noticed on another forum that someone had two washers put in to fix an oil leak, can i do this with the sump bung washers?? where and what are sump bung washers??? and any suggestions on what could be the cause. I would really appreciate some help with this matter (and im sure the mechanic would too).

chimpy
Recruit

Liked Posts: 0 time
Posts Liked: 0 time

Re: mysterious oil leak

Postby MilwaukeeMadass » 02 Dec 2009 08:31

That oil leak is #$%*@ frustrating, i know. :evil: That was my bike.

Replacing the single one o-ring (not exactly sure which one) didn't help but doubling it up was enough to stop the leak. From what i understand, the machining on that part is a little jacked on my bike and there's more of a gap in that spot and a single o-ring can't do the trick.

That's my luck I guess - getting the bike that was built on a Friday afternoon before a long holiday.

Anyway, i wish i had the exact details but I'm sure Andy at Moto-Scoot in Milwaukee (where i bought my bike and take it for service) would be able to fill you (or your mechanic) in on exactly what the deal-i-o was. I'm sure Andy would remember after a minute or two because i felt the same way you do with calling or showing up at the dealer over and over.

Moto-Scoots contact info is on their site. Hope that helps a little towards getting your bike squared away. Let us know what goes down and good luck!
Raymond - Forum/Website Admin
2010 125 Madass "Hugo Stiglitz" | Graphite | Stage I Kit w/ Asspipe
Bring Back The 50
MilwaukeeMadass
Site Admin

Liked Posts: 125 times
Posts Liked: 116 times

Postby chimpy » 04 Dec 2009 01:56

Thanks for the tip, I just got an email back from Moto-scoot, and the guys there included this great picture to help me.
MA125_Oil_leak.JPG

So i'm off to the mechanics on monday, and hopefully by tuesday i will have a clean driveway again!! Will let you know how it goes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chimpy
Recruit

Postby MilwaukeeMadass » 04 Dec 2009 08:13

Good deal. There's nothing better then knowing exactly what to look for.
Bring Back The 50
MilwaukeeMadass
Site Admin

Postby MilwaukeeMadass » 04 Dec 2009 08:16

I made this post "Sticky" so that if anyone else needs info about this same leak can get their hands on it easier. That diagram is good to have.
Bring Back The 50
MilwaukeeMadass
Site Admin

Postby islandmadass » 15 Dec 2009 09:00

I have a leak on the Madass 125 flywheel side for sometime didnt fix it yet still waiting for my puller.Also on the clutch side i found oil leaking .I open up the clutch cover to find out the rubber seal came off so i inserted it back on and now its good :)

islandmadass

Postby ruisse23 » 12 Feb 2010 21:24

Hi everyone. Check your oil seals. The oil seals made for the MadAss is not that durable. You might want to get a compatible Honda monkey or Lifan oilseal.
There are two oil seals that need to be replaced. The one that's in the crankcase itself, then the oil seal in the magneto.

OT:
Island MadAss, are you from Guam?

ruisse23

Liked Posts: 8 times

Postby Greg » 26 Apr 2010 21:51

This evening the second leak islandmadass mentioned, the one on the right side of the bike with oil coming out around the clutch cover, occurred on my bike.

This is a sixty second repair. When you pull the clutch cover off, right in the center you will see an adjusting screw and nut. That screw is screwed into the brass control plate. Behind that plate is the oil seal. Depending on the lighting where you are working, one of those flashlights on a headband can be helpful here. You don't need to remove anything else to get to the seal. Just look behind the control plate. If the seal is not flush with the engine, then take something like a flat screwdriver and carefully press it back in. Put the clutch cover and it's gasket back on and you are good to go.

This occurred on my bike at about 2200 miles.

Rating:7.69%

Greg

Liked Posts: 122 times
Posts Liked: 152 times

Postby MilwaukeeMadass » 27 Apr 2010 08:31

Thanks for the tip Greg, That's a good one to look for.
Bring Back The 50
MilwaukeeMadass
Site Admin

Postby Apex027 » 02 Jun 2010 08:04

ghouston wrote:This evening the second leak islandmadass mentioned, the one on the right side of the bike with oil coming out around the clutch cover, occurred on my bike.

This is a sixty second repair. When you pull the clutch cover off, right in the center you will see an adjusting screw and nut. That screw is screwed into the brass control plate. Behind that plate is the oil seal. Depending on the lighting where you are working, one of those flashlights on a headband can be helpful here. You don't need to remove anything else to get to the seal. Just look behind the control plate. If the seal is not flush with the engine, then take something like a flat screwdriver and carefully press it back in. Put the clutch cover and it's gasket back on and you are good to go.

just happened to me at 2500 kms
thank god i found this site id be lost without it cheers greg had trouble with mine today was about to give up searching for an answer when a google link led me back here not sure if seal had come off or wether its worn out was able to check it and make sure it was on at 9pm to late to test it but will be up early tomorrow to try it out and hopefully i can ride to work
http://www.ooracing.com/

Mods
26mm mikuni carb
17t front sprocket
modded stock can
Apex027
Fanatic

Liked Posts: 1 time
Posts Liked: 10 times

Postby MilwaukeeMadass » 02 Jun 2010 08:21

The MadAss Army: entertaining as well as informative. 8-)
Bring Back The 50
MilwaukeeMadass
Site Admin

Postby Lucky » 26 Jul 2010 10:21

ghouston wrote:This evening the second leak islandmadass mentioned, the one on the right side of the bike with oil coming out around the clutch cover, occurred on my bike.

This just happened to me on Friday.
On the way home from work I noticed my rear brake working less and less. Oil coming out of my Clutch side cover sprayed all over my rear tire and brake caliper. I had no idea there was leak in progress.
I'll look and see if the seal is popped out. Peirspeed needs to address this issue with a service recall.
I could have had an accident with no rear brake! :twisted: :evil:
Lucky

Posts Liked: 5 times

Postby Greg » 26 Jul 2010 10:31

Lucky wrote:Peirspeed needs to address this issue with a service recall.
I could have had an accident with no rear brake! :twisted: :evil:

I'm 95% sure mine was caused by the added internal pressure of the big bore kit, and thus wouldn't be an issue for Peirspeed. Do you have any engine mods, Lucky?
Greg

Postby Lucky » 26 Jul 2010 10:52

Just a pipe and carb.
Lucky

Postby Lucky » 27 Jul 2010 09:29

I pushed the seal back in but seams pretty loose. I rode to work and did not have a drip yet.
If it happens again, I'm going to look into some different seals.
Lucky

Postby Stewped » 01 Sep 2010 13:31

Scarry -- Same Issue -- Clutch Push Rod Seal #21421-FYIF3-000 Excessive Crank Case Pressure Pushes Out Loosely Fitted Seal -- Perhaps An Extra Breather At The Intake Tapper Cover May Resulve Issue {Seen This On A Picture of Another 125cc Madass} -- However Do Not Know Where To Get This Extra Beather Item -- Perhaps There Is A Honda Part Number That Will Cross Over To the OE Seal Number "21421-FYIF3-000" For A More Secure Fitment -- Perhaps I Could Glue The Loose Seal In The Casing -- ANY IDEALS?
Yeah -- OK -- So I may have a huge plastic head -- So What
Stewped
Sparks

Liked Posts: 57 times
Posts Liked: 92 times

Postby Lucky » 01 Sep 2010 13:52

I made my own Valve Cover Breather using a 1/4" brass nipple and rubber hose.
It's installed on the top of the cover towards the back so as to clear the valve going up and down.
Took about 20 mins to make and saved me $30.

When you re install the oil seal, clean the seal area dry of oil. Bone dry. Add a few drops of locktite to the outside edge of the seal.
Mine has not popped out since.
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/threadlockers.shtml

Lucky

Postby Stewped » 01 Sep 2010 14:16

Thanks Lucky -- You Are A God -- Stupid Question Though -- What "Loctite" Did You Use For The Seal ? -- Appears To Be Several Types
Yeah -- OK -- So I may have a huge plastic head -- So What
Stewped
Sparks

Liked Posts: 57 times
Posts Liked: 92 times

Postby Lucky » 01 Sep 2010 14:30

I don't think is was heavy duty Locktite, I was at the local scooter shop asking for suggestions and the mechanic handed me some locktite
and said "here, try this technique." So did the job in the paking lot with screwdriver, rag and some carb cleaner.
When I got home the problem was gone.
Lucky

Postby Greg » 01 Sep 2010 15:52

The medium strength Loctite models are 242 and 243. 243 is oil resistant. That's what I use on my bike.

I ordered new seals from Moto-Scoot a few months back, but they never came. So my mechanic pulled a seal out of another honda clone engine that just happened to be sitting in his shop, and stuck it on my bike and that fixed the issue for me. It took him all of five minutes. He didn't use any loctite, but I'll keep that in mind if the issue ever occurs again. I think the bike just comes with cheap seals so I may be better off that the seals I ordered never came in.

Here is a header breather valve cover from PCC Motor.

I got mine from AHP Minis, but it doesn't look like the one I purchased is on their site anymore.

On a side note, it makes it more difficult to read your sentences when ever word starts with a capital letter.
Greg

Postby Boneshambler » 26 Sep 2010 12:53

I thought I had the same leak on my stepsons 125, but I took off the cover after running the bike, and noticed it was coming out of one of the machined holes next to the shifter.http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/4761/img2903r.jpgI think the seal has a leak where the hole is. Im going to locktight a screw in there instead of replacing the seal. Hopefully that will do the trick unless anybody knows why oil would be coming out of that Hole????

Boneshambler

Postby Boneshambler » 26 Sep 2010 13:09

Ok so there is a bolt under the engine that houses a spring with a rod that has holes in it. That is the source of the leak from the machined hole. What is causing this to leak?

Boneshambler

Postby Greg » 27 Sep 2010 17:32

Boneshambler wrote:Ok so there is a bolt under the engine that houses a spring with a rod that has holes in it. That is the source of the leak from the machined hole. What is causing this to leak?

That is the timing chain tensioner. See E04 in this manual. Is it missing it's washer?
Greg

Postby ambrosio » 26 Feb 2012 15:50

My MadAss is leaking oil thru shift pedal :evil: :evil:

To change this rubber seal one has to empty the entire oil from the motor?

ambrosio

Liked Posts: 2 times
Posts Liked: 2 times

Postby RichardMA125 » 28 Feb 2012 23:14

Replace it with Oil Seal 11.6×24×10.

Why not draining the oil? It's one of the easiest basic work on the Madass. You also have to know how much oil is still in the engine. You don't know how much is drained through the bad seal.

RichardMA125
Supporter

Liked Posts: 1 time
Posts Liked: 7 times

Next

Return to The Garage: MadAss Mods, Upgrades, and Repairs