Look Here For The Latest Madass Army and Community News.

Just bought a madass that sat for a long time - Please Help!

Topics and discussions about upgrading, modifying and/or repairing the MadAss.

Moderators: Greg, MilwaukeeMadass, MadMaster

Just bought a madass that sat for a long time - Please Help!

Postby falkenbd » 21 Aug 2014 13:49

Hello - I recently purchased a 2010 Madass 125 from someone who never rode it.

It has <10 miles on the odometer. Sat for 3-4 years. I've read several of the threads around the forum on carb tuning, and the like. I was hoping to get some specific advice for my situation.

Here is what I did before I bought the bike.
1- Drained gas, put in some fresh gas and tried starting.
2 - take off the carb and remove float bowl. used spray carb cleaner in the bowl and the venturi
At this point I got it to start, and it was idling. Any time I touched the throttle it killed it. Agreed to purchase, and took it home.

After I got it home I've done a few things.
1 - Took the carb off and completely apart. Soaked in some carb cleaner, used spray, wire brushes, and small wires to clean everything I possibly could on the carb
2 - gaskets were pretty bad, so I used some fiber to cut my own, using the old ones as a template.
3 - reassembled carb, with the fiber/paper gaskets on the intake
4 - drained gas again and put seafoam and more fresh gas in

5 - put new battery in, haven't charged it yet, but I will tomorrow after I get the charger out.

At this point, I can start it, but I have to hold the throttle like 1/8 open or it quits. I even took the carb apart again and cleaned it again. I ran it around my neighborhood a few times in order to see if I could just keep on going, but I had to keep it at 1/8 throttle anytime I stopped :auto-dirtbike:

Side note: My father in law was here over the weekend, in an effort to help he went and bought new gaskets (don't line up) new spacer & o-ring (also don't line up) and a battery from moto-scoot. They also sold him on an EGR block off, and some different jets. I'm thinking they are from the 50cc as they block off part of the intake tube, and I plan to go return them and hopefully get the right stuff.

Sorry for the long post, any help is much appreciated.

I'm hoping to get some tips on how to get this thing idling and running properly. What should I do next?

Did moto-scoot sell my father-in-law the wrong gaskets? They seem way too small. (I can upload pics later)

Finally, there is a little piece of wire that is attached the ground cable for the battery with a ring terminal on it. Where does that extra ring terminal go? I didn't notice it at first.

falkenbd
Recruit

Liked Posts: 0 time
Posts Liked: 0 time

Re: Just bought a madass that sat for a long time - Please H

Postby satur9 » 22 Aug 2014 15:17

can you post pics of the carb and egr. the stalling could be egr or vacuum leak or valves need adjusting. or idle air screw. (even though it only has 10 miles it sat for a while)..behind the kickstarter there should be an engine case bolt with a ring terminal on it that goes to battery negative. that wire is probably the one that goes there if you dont see it . theres a vague picture of the ground on this page http://www.scootnfast.com/Madass/Motor_swap.htm. . hook up ground charge battery take some pics get back to us. btw yeah you probably got the wrong stuff from motoscoot.50 cc mabey

satur9
Fanatic

Posts Liked: 19 times

Postby falkenbd » 23 Aug 2014 14:07

Thanks for the reply. Here are pics of the carb and a few other things

more to come as I disassemble it again tomorrow

First, the ground on the engine:

The mystery group "pigtail" off the battery connection:

Carb pics etc

falkenbd
Recruit

Postby mymadassisbadass » 24 Aug 2014 20:43

It looks like the left side engine case ground was left loose for some reason. There are two case grounds, one on each side. Two aren't really necessary, but most MA models have them.
2006 MA 50 W/141cc Lifan semi-auto engine & custom exhaust -- Old and Tired --
mymadassisbadass
Contributor

Posts Liked: 42 times

Postby satur9 » 25 Aug 2014 15:21

its hard to tell from pics but is your choke down. do you put it back up after warmup. I had a choke lever break at the bars on a different bike it was always on. just checking.the egr and carb look oK from what I can see from those pics. mabey check valves.

satur9
Fanatic

Postby falkenbd » 25 Aug 2014 20:32

The choke is down. The lever on the handlebars lifts it and it snaps back down when its released.

falkenbd
Recruit

Postby falkenbd » 26 Aug 2014 18:00

Motoscoot assured me I had the right parts, and that the smaller diameter wouldn't hurt anything

Holding the new spacer under the old looks like this - hard to see but zoom in and see how much overlap

New spacer - has an o-ring built in, unlike previous one:

My carb also has an o-ring I was hoping to find this replacement

Gasket Comparison shots:

My question is - how would I go about reassembling this now that the spacer has an o-ring I never had before.

I was thinking I'd put the flat part against the carburetor and the o-ring against the intake tube - and not use any gasket, since they both have an o-ring. Except, I still don't have a new o-ring to go on the carburetor part.

Thoughts?

falkenbd
Recruit

Postby falkenbd » 26 Aug 2014 18:05

Another question.

I've got the carb apart again, I'm just going to go ahead and put the new jets they gave me in.

The main jet has 3 pieces, and I'm not sure if I have this one facing the right direction:

Ignore the fact that they are flipped, I am only wondering which way the smaller piece is supposed to meet up with the longer piece.

falkenbd
Recruit

Postby falkenbd » 03 Sep 2014 01:16

Well.

I have an update. Put in new battery, hooked up a connector for my battery tender just in case. New fuse just for good measure.

Carb back on with new jets. Still not sure about the gaskets and spacer, if I have it back together the way it should be with this spacer having it's own o-ring unlike the one that was on the bike when I got it.

Found a loose connector in the front, snapped it back on and now all the electronics are working. Having electric start is nice over the kick starter that's for sure.

Was able to get it fired up again, idle is still not happening. Have to hold the throttle just slightly open.

SO my float bowl gasket is leaking, and they are back ordered.

Any easy way to tell if the intake gaskets are leaking?

falkenbd
Recruit

Postby satur9 » 03 Sep 2014 15:08

get some large rubber bands and google rubber band cruise control. start the bike and wrap the bands around throttle so that it will hold idle and you have both hands free. take some starter fluid spray and spray around the intake .theres youtube videos on this as well such as this one [youtube] [url]1982 XS400 Seca Vacuum Leak at Carb Boots: http://youtu.be/9u_D8-1Sd5k/url]/youtube]1982 XS400 Seca Vacuum Leak at Carb Boots: http://youtu.be/9u_D8-1Sd5k if your idle changes theres a leak

satur9
Fanatic

Postby falkenbd » 04 Sep 2014 09:45

Alright, I gave that a try.

It didn't seem to change rpm. Held throttle steady at slightly increased rpm, sprayed carb cleaner on each area just slightly at first, then increased to where I was spraying it all over both gaskets and didn't notice any change in the idle.

At that point I commenced trying to get it to idle by adjusting the air screw and backing off the throttle trying to get it to where i could set it down. It's a lot closer now to running and idling than it has been.

Does white smoke from the exhaust indicate anything?

Does the fact that I don't need any choke indicate anything?

falkenbd
Recruit

Postby satur9 » 06 Sep 2014 13:51

white smoke is just water. moisture in engine in an air cooled engine. no choke means youre probably still rich mabey on the pilot.

satur9
Fanatic

Postby falkenbd » 07 Sep 2014 03:16

Whats a good starting point for the air-screw?

falkenbd
Recruit

Return to The Garage: MadAss Mods, Upgrades, and Repairs