Look Here For The Latest Madass Army and Community News.

noisy engine with clutch disengaged

Topics and discussions about upgrading, modifying and/or repairing the MadAss.

Moderators: Greg, MilwaukeeMadass, MadMaster

noisy engine with clutch disengaged

Postby tickedoff » 15 Jan 2014 03:40

Hi members, I'm a owner of a 125 stock standard Madass that has a unbearable noisy engine when I engage the clutch and I'm really ticked off, releasing the clutch the engine sounds fine and runs well.
I replaced the clutch thrust bearing without success the noise is still there, its a stinker of a problem.
It may be a common problem with the madass 125 that some owners have encountered and could point me in the right direction. Thanks

cheers tickedoff
Last edited by tickedoff on 01 Feb 2014 20:49, edited 1 time in total.

tickedoff
Recruit

Liked Posts: 0 time
Posts Liked: 0 time

Re: noisy engine with clutch engaged

Postby mymadassisbadass » 19 Jan 2014 16:03

How many miles are on the bike? I have worked on many of these bikes and I will let you know right off that it can be several things, Depending on wear and tear & the way these bikes are ridden has much to do with the life expectancy of the clutch. On that note, the clutch may be too worn and need to be replaced altogether. A completely worn out clutch will barely move the bike and sounds terrible, let me ask you this, does it make noise when riding or just idling? Is the noise progressive or does it get louder when riding? Most important, when did the noise start? & How were you riding when it first started happening?
2006 MA 50 W/141cc Lifan semi-auto engine & custom exhaust -- Old and Tired --
mymadassisbadass
Contributor

Posts Liked: 42 times

Re: noisy engine with clutch disengaged

Postby tickedoff » 01 Feb 2014 20:48

Thanks for reply, I've confused the issue by saying clutch engaged instead of disengaged. :oops: I originally thought it was the gear bush in pic but no, as you see the bike looks like it has been treated o.k. I'm not the original owner so the full history is an unknown. Other than the noise when clutch lever is activated the bike runs and rides well. only 506 Ks.
Could it be crank bearings? because of side thrust to the crankshaft when the clutch is disengaged? :idea: The noise I can only describe as a grinding or rubbing with another component in the engine somewhere, I did check both engine covers for contact points of magneto and clutch but found none I also disconnected the starter cable in case an electrical fault was engaging the starter motor when activating the clutch.

cheers
tickedoff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tickedoff
Recruit

Postby mymadassisbadass » 02 Feb 2014 15:12

It could be the crank bearings, I have worked on several high mileage manual 50/125's that had the same noise issue, the ticking/grinding noise it is normally caused by worn out clutch components / bushings. I did work on one bike that had been downshifted too hard, too fast and it caused the crank bearings to move in the bearing journals from engine over-load. The only repair was a replacement block & new bearings, that bike would go but it would make noise going down the road. From what you said it doesn't sound like your crank bearings are bad, because you said your bike sounds fine with the clutch fully engaged riding down the road. So, it sounds like one of the clutch components is loose or needs replacing due to wear or misalignment. I would either live with a little clutch noise or rebuild the entire clutch pack if it really bothers you. If the noise progresses any further I would go ahead and do a clutch job on it. You don't want to be stranded if you can help it.
mymadassisbadass
Contributor

Postby tickedoff » 04 Feb 2014 20:25

That's really sounds like good advice mymadassisbadass, I paid too much for this bike and have sunk a little money into the bike, like headlights, mirrors, battery and a few minor things.
As it stands it's not worth much, i was quoted 150 aussie dollars for a new clutch because over here you can't buy the idler bush and gear separately as shown in the pic.
These bikes according to a dealer I bought parts from here reckons they were not a big seller here, i have to agree because its difficult to find a wrecked one for parts and any parts I do buy new are only located on our east coast.
I'll struggle on and get a new clutch and let you know how it works out. :obscene-drinkingcheers:

tickedoff
Recruit

Postby mymadassisbadass » 06 Mar 2014 00:09

A new clutch with new components should solve it, I hope you sort out. Cheers :obscene-drinkingcheers:
mymadassisbadass
Contributor

Postby MadMike » 07 May 2014 20:59

Just a suggestion but push in on the kick starter shaft. I replaced my shift drum and a couple gears and for some reason my kick shaft has about 3/8 in play. I plan on making a spacer on the inside to keep the shaft from coming out. When I pull it out it makes a lot of noise. Push it in it stops, not sure why it does it.

MadMike
Fanatic

Posts Liked: 15 times

Postby mymadassisbadass » 08 May 2014 23:04

That noise is most likely caused by wear on the kickstarter's catch spring, when it starts to weaken it doesn't keep the proper tension allowing things to move some that shouldn't be.
mymadassisbadass
Contributor

Return to The Garage: MadAss Mods, Upgrades, and Repairs