Look Here For The Latest Madass Army and Community News.

Alps trip

Any time more than two MadAss Army members are at the same location together, something has to be going down.

Moderators: Greg, MilwaukeeMadass, MadMaster

Alps trip

Postby Caribou » 08 Jul 2012 08:55

Hello

so from 27.6. to 4.7. I've made my biggest trip with madass 125 by now :)
some statistics:
distance: 3520 km / 2187 miles
fuel consumption: 2.3 liters per 100 km
money spent: under 200€ ;)

my main objective was to get to my girl at the centre of France, at Foecy near Brouges and ofcourse also back home in one piece :P
so I thought what would be the cheapest, most fun and adventurous way to travel? ... and my little Madass decided to jump in :)

I live near Slovenian/Austrian border, so I thought crossing the Austrian, Swiss and French Alps and then descending to Azure coast and through valley of Padova back home is going be most interesting route.

I packed basic tools (some wrenches, screwdriver, knife, duct tape...) and 1 liter of motor oil. I clockled 2690 km with my madass befor this tour, and didn't have any problems with it, so I was kind od hoping of same performance during my trip.

I didn't expect Alps to be so easy on little Madass, must have been cool air and frequent breaks (I didn't took single highway, only local roads, that means also two very high mountain passes). When I reached Foecy after around 1500 km, Madass didn't even stretch a bit. He just sounded and worked perfectly :bow-blue:

On the way home I drove south-east to French Alps and descended to Côte d'Azur, went to Nice, Menton, Sanremo, Monaco (drove on f1 lap ofcourse :) ) and then headed to Italy and back home to Slovenia.

In Monaco, engine oil started leaking out of clutch seal ( it seemed like end of world :P ) and I thought well, I don't have money, I can't call for help, so let's just try to fix it...and I disasembled clutch lid and all the parts to small rubber seal, cleaned all of it, and put it back firmly...poured new oil and it just worked...I just could't believe it :) it seems like that rubber seal moved litte bit off because of vibrations.

So after this little hickup, Madass was tearing road again.

New and only real problem on trip occured 200 km before finish, as my back brake disc started to block as brake fluid was overheating (it was way too hot), so I didn't have any other choice but to leak it out and drive last 200 km without one break. This problem is still mystery to me. Something is constantly generating heat at back brake system and transferring it to brake fluid, which started to expand and squeeze disc. (this is my theory, I'll see what my mechanic will say in few days)

apart from this, I am really amazed by performance of this machine and even more by toughness of material !
On whole trip it seemed like I was the weak link, at last day of riding (I drove total for 6 days, so that means almost 600 km per day) I could barely sit on it. My ass, knees, back, neck, shoulders...it was just little bit too much :| I was driving whole day untill night and made 10 min break every 50 min. I can't even imagine what it would feel like to have stock Madass seat, as even with new one it was hard.

some pics:
at Fluelapass(2383m), Switzerland

entering Burgundy, France

Nice, France
Last edited by Caribou on 08 Jul 2012 14:56, edited 1 time in total.

Rating:23.08%

Caribou
Recruit

Liked Posts: 0 time
Posts Liked: 3 times

Alps trip

Postby MilwaukeeMadass » 08 Jul 2012 09:16

All I can say is ... Wow
Raymond - Forum/Website Admin
2010 125 Madass "Hugo Stiglitz" | Graphite | Stage I Kit w/ Asspipe
Bring Back The 50
MilwaukeeMadass
Site Admin

Liked Posts: 125 times
Posts Liked: 116 times

Re: Alps trip

Postby Greg » 08 Jul 2012 14:45

Great trip!

Both issues you had are fairly common. I would replace that seal with a Honda one. The seal that comes with the bike is of very low quality.

Instructions for adjusting the rear brake so it doesn't heat up and lock up.
Greg

Liked Posts: 122 times
Posts Liked: 152 times

Alps trip

Postby Tobyg » 08 Jul 2012 16:18

Fantastic! That would have been a great trip- bet you're proud of the little Madass (I am!)
Tobyg

Postby Caribou » 09 Jul 2012 04:55

Greg thanks for tips!

Tobyg, my MA just makes me smile everytime I see him in garage :)
I asked a lot, and my little madass gave me all
Caribou
Recruit

Postby Bagwell » 01 Sep 2014 10:53

Thats a pretty cool trip. Saw a recent story about a guy on a Honda Grom going from Portland Oregon USA to Alaska USA. A big trip on a little bike seems like a very tough trip but very big accomplishment.

Bagwell
Recruit

Posts Liked: 0 time

Return to Rides & Events