Look Here For The Latest Madass Army and Community News.

My Bike - 2010 Sachs MadAss 125

Pics. Pics. Pics. Show off your pride and share images or video of your own bike.

Moderators: Greg, MilwaukeeMadass, MadMaster

My Bike - 2010 Sachs MadAss 125

Postby Greg » 18 Mar 2010 22:55

Picture from original post (March 18, 2010):

madass_3-18-2010_02.jpg

More recent picture (May 20, 2011):

madass_05-20-2011_02.png

(July 1, 2011)

madass_07-01-2011_03.png

2010 Sachs Madass 125

Bike Name: Lungta - translates as "Wind Horse"; is Tibetan for one's life force energy.

Performance Parts
- 142cc big bore kit
- Mikuni VM26-606 carburetor (still considering the Keihin PE24 or a Mikuni VM24)
- K&N air filter (RC-2310) and PreCharger (22-8028PK)
- POC HMF exhaust with Vector end cap
- NGK spark plug cap
- 16/39 sprockets and sometimes 15/39
- DID 428V O-Ring chain
- Pirelli MT75 tires - 120/80-16 rear and 100/80-16 front
- OORacing branded CDI 4 pin no limiter 14000 (not sure this really does anything)
- OORacing branded breather catch tank - 3-way system oil return
- Stainless steel braided hoses for catch tank
- NSK double sealed wheel bearings

Bling
- Renthal Streetfighter handlebars
- Lower black handle bar clamps
- Rizoma Avio 21 turn signals
- Rizoma Universal Sportline Billet Grips
- Rhino Moto bar ends for CRG mirrors
- CRG Hindsight LS Bar End Mirrors
- 50 Stunt Footpegs w/Slider kit
- MSR forged aluminum shift lever CRF50 Long (34-2139)
- Helix Racing fuel line
- Pro-Bolt aluminum clutch cable adjuster - 8mm
- 1977 Mopeds curved side mount license plate bracket
- LED taillight
- Seat reupholstered by Pirate Upholstery

Miscellaneous Parts
- Fast50s magnetic drain bolt
- Rear axle with spools
- NCY EGR valve cover
- Adjustable clutch cable 38" - silver
- 2" longer throttle cable - silver

Protective Accessories
- Zeta Armor handguards with X1 Protectors
- NOJ neoprene fork guards
- Custom fabricated exhaust heat shield

Electrical Accessories
- Bike Master TruGel MG7L-BS Battery
- YUASA Smart Shot 900 Battery Maintainer Quick Connect

Other Mods
- Moved shock to the lower mounting hole
- Moved the horn to the top bracket under the gas tank where the air box previously bolted into
- Painted headlight brackets black

Things Removed
- Front fender
- Rear fender and bracket
- Chain guard
- License plate bracket (cut off with a dremel, and just left the part of the bracket for the lights)
- Reflectors
- Decals

Mikuni VM26 Carb Tuning
- My settings (Summer, altitude 1000 feet): 27.5 / 200 / 2nd clip position
- MotoScoot's recommendation (altitude 580 feet): 32.5 / 180 / 3rd or 2nd clip position

With my components, altitude and so forth, Andy's starting recommendation would cause my idle to be erratic when stopping at an intersection, but I included his here as well since depending on where you live and what set-up you have, Andy's recommendation may be spot on for your VM26. Along with your bike's particular components, other factors that come into play are the altitude, the average humidity, and average temperature in your area. In July, the average high is 80 degrees fahrenheit in Milwaukee. It is 90 degrees here in Joplin.

Chemicals
- Pro Honda GN4 4-Stroke Motor Oil - 10W-40 (Winter), 20W-50 (Summer)
- DuPont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant (for lubing the chain)
- Motion Pro Cable Lube
- Permatex Anti-Seize Lubricant
- Permatex Dielectric Tune-Up Grease
- Original Bike Spirits Spray Cleaner & Polish
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rating:30.77%

Greg

Liked Posts: 122 times
Posts Liked: 152 times

Re: My Bike

Postby toddbumpa » 19 Mar 2010 02:13

Very Nice. :mrgreen:
toddbumpa

Liked Posts: 0 time
Posts Liked: 1 time

Postby jim8o » 19 Mar 2010 02:51

i have exactly the same REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT tag on me keys lol!

Looking awesome dude!
James
"08" Sachs MADASS 125 | Bar End Mirrors, Alloy THUMPSTAR Footpegs | Pure adrenalin attached to a licence plate
jim8o
Fanatic

Postby MilwaukeeMadass » 19 Mar 2010 07:14

Very nice. You have an eye for the right kit. I really, really like the Rizomas. You can see how much of a difference they are over the stock signals.
Raymond - Forum/Website Admin
2010 125 Madass "Hugo Stiglitz" | Graphite | Stage I Kit w/ Asspipe
Bring Back The 50
MilwaukeeMadass
Site Admin

Liked Posts: 125 times
Posts Liked: 116 times

Postby Foundations » 19 Mar 2010 22:05

Dood, your bike rocks.

I really hope you don't mind me taking a page from your book and going for the performance parts you've listed.

What made you take the snorkel off? I kind of like the look but not sure if it would sacrifice any performance by doing so. Your Rizoma turns are gorgeous.
2010 MadAss 125 | Graphite | MSR Shift Lever | Bar End Mirrors | Frightline LED Brake
Foundations

Posts Liked: 0 time

Postby Greg » 19 Mar 2010 23:20

Thanks guys.

jim8o wrote:i have exactly the same REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT tag on me keys lol!

Haha! Small world.

Foundations wrote:I really hope you don't mind me taking a page from your book and going for the performance parts you've listed.

Not at all. That's the point of listing stuff, so we can get ideas from each other. However, if you are not planning on installing a big bore kit or bolting in a bigger engine then there are a couple things I would do differently. I'd probably use a 15 tooth front sprocket rather than the 16. Compared to the 15, the 16 will raise your cruising speed in each gear, but not your top speed. I don't think the stock engine has enough power to take advantage of the 16 tooth sprocket in 4th gear. You will also lose some acceleration off the starting line with the 16 tooth. With a big bore I'm thinking the 16 will be perfect. Also, same thing, if you are sticking with the stock engine I would probably recommend a 24mm carb rather than the 26mm. I've got my 142cc big bore kit, but am going to wait a while before installing it. I don't feel like breaking in new rings right now.

Foundations wrote:What made you take the snorkel off? I kind of like the look but not sure if it would sacrifice any performance by doing so.

Just the opposite. The stock air box is very restrictive. Replacing it with a pod filter will increase your power. I have an Emgo paper filter on right now just because it looks the best to me, but the Uni style foam filters and K&N fabric filters would improve performance even further. Also, you will need new jets for the stock carb and an EGR block off plate if you remove the air box. Moto-Scoot sells a kit for $28.00, though mine didn't come with the red pre-filter like shown in the picture.

As well as improving performance, removing the air box makes it easier to fiddle with the carb, easier to clean the top of the engine, and removes the biggest chunk of plastic from the bike. I don't like plastic!
Greg

Postby toddbumpa » 21 Mar 2010 05:50

Question: Where and what does the EGR plate do?
toddbumpa

Postby Greg » 21 Mar 2010 12:31

The EGR plate covers a hole on the front bottom left side of the engine where a return hose from the stock air box was attached. Since you don't have the big air box on your bike it may be that this hole is either already covered or does not exist on your engine though I'm not sure.
Greg

Postby Streetcred » 22 Mar 2010 04:50

hey G houston,

just wanted to check , your running mobil 1 in your bike?

I thought these motors didnt like synthetic, i dont want to start an oil debate.

if all is good then thats fine, just curious

regards
Phil.
Phil
Street Cred Motorcycle Service
Australia

The "Great Madass Tour" of australia
http://www.streetcred.net.au
Streetcred
Vendor

Postby Greg » 22 Mar 2010 10:52

Hey Phil,

Since synthetic oil has smaller molecules you are not suppose to use it while breaking in the seals on an engine or if the engine develops leaks. Beyond that I can't say much. I am no expert on the issue. I tried to find the oil recommended in the manual, Motorex 15W-40 mineral oil, but from what I can tell Motorex does not make such an oil.
Greg

Postby Foundations » 22 Mar 2010 23:17

Hey G,

I spent the day pulling my stock airbox off the bike and drilling a series of holes to allow more air to flow into the tubes. I figure it is a decent workaround until I can figure whether or not I want to go your route. One question I did have for you though is what did you do with the electrical wires that originally run underneath the frame and above the airbox? When I removed my snorkel, it looked as if there was a significant amount of wires all wrapped in electrical tape that I would have a hard time hiding or streamlining.

On a side note, I think the bike is running a lot better since I allowed it to breathe a little more. I'm just wondering if I need to adjust my carb at all. I'm extremely new when it comes to engine tinkering so I'm not sure what I'm doing.
2010 MadAss 125 | Graphite | MSR Shift Lever | Bar End Mirrors | Frightline LED Brake
Foundations

Postby Greg » 22 Mar 2010 23:50

I didn't do anything with the wires. They don't bother me.

As long as your bike still runs smoothly at idle and then through the transition from idle to full throttle you probably don't need to adjust anything, and well, you probably didn't increase the airflow much. If you actually make a significant change then you are going to need new jets, and sadly, I am not aware of anywhere you can get new jets for the stock carburetor with the exception of those that Andy at Moto-Scoot custom bores out for the tune-up kit he sells. So I probably wouldn't drill any more holes in that air box; not unless you find a source of main and pilot jets for that carb. I no longer have the stock carb. I have a Mikuni VM26 and more than a dozen jets for it.
Greg

Postby charlie_farly » 23 Mar 2010 09:45

Nice wheels :)

Have you ever thought about using an OORacing 4 pin CDI unit no limiter 14000 or OORacing Performance 5 PIN CDI Map 4 ?..

http://www.ooracing.com/store/index.php ... oductId=39
http://www.ooracing.com/store/index.php ... uctId=1072

If not why..

cheers
charlie_farly

Postby Greg » 23 Mar 2010 10:05

charlie_farly wrote:Have you ever thought about using an OORacing 4 pin CDI unit no limiter 14000 or OORacing Performance 5 PIN CDI Map 4 ?

I have the 4 pin installed. I honestly don't know if it has made any significant performance impact or not.
Greg

Postby charlie_farly » 23 Mar 2010 22:35

charlie_farly

Postby Greg » 24 Mar 2010 00:34

Is that the 125? Where is the power dying, 1/4 throttle, 3/4 throttle? Is the bike new or used? Are the parts stock?

It's hard for me to tell from the video, but your carb is probably out of tune. It may have a clogged jet. Removing the carb and checking the jets is not too difficult. Once you've done it 2 or 3 times you won't even have to think about it. I wrote instructions on how to remove the carb and check the jets, but it took me so long I was timed out on the forum and I lost the post when I tried to submit it. I'm too tired to write it again right now, but here are some helpful links.

Mikuni Motorcycle Carburetor Theory 101

Motorcycle Jet Kits & Carburetion Basics

Simple Guide to Jetting

Rating:30.77%

Greg

Postby charlie_farly » 24 Mar 2010 04:03

Its a 125, the previous owner did something to the engine which is dying at 1/2 - 3/4 throttle..

The bike went into a service but im not sure if the carb was cleaned or checked, get back to you on that one.

cheers again for the help
charlie_farly

Postby toddbumpa » 28 Mar 2010 02:51

Foundations wrote:Hey G,

I spent the day pulling my stock airbox off the bike and drilling a series of holes to allow more air to flow into the tubes. I figure it is a decent workaround until I can figure whether or not I want to go your route. One question I did have for you though is what did you do with the electrical wires that originally run underneath the frame and above the airbox? When I removed my snorkel, it looked as if there was a significant amount of wires all wrapped in electrical tape that I would have a hard time hiding or streamlining.

On a side note, I think the bike is running a lot better since I allowed it to breathe a little more. I'm just wondering if I need to adjust my carb at all. I'm extremely new when it comes to engine tinkering so I'm not sure what I'm doing.

I've got a spare dual foam air filter if you want it. :mrgreen:
toddbumpa

Postby Foundations » 31 Mar 2010 11:11

toddbumpa wrote:I've got a spare dual foam air filter if you want it. :mrgreen:

I just may take you up on that.

You got yours up and all running now? I've looked around and haven't seen you yet. We may have to take on the Cap Hill posers here soon. :twisted:
Foundations

Postby toddbumpa » 31 Mar 2010 23:37

Foundations wrote:
toddbumpa wrote:I've got a spare dual foam air filter if you want it. :mrgreen:

I just may take you up on that.

You got yours up and all running now? I've looked around and haven't seen you yet. We may have to take on the Cap Hill posers here soon. :twisted:

oh yeah....I'm still tinkering with it. I can't seem to get the asspipe to fit without getting a small leak, it frustrating. I'm still searching for the sweet spot on the carb as well, it varies based on our weather. I rode around the hill last Sat., and it felt like every hipster was staring me down! :lol:
toddbumpa

Postby Foundations » 31 Mar 2010 23:41

toddbumpa wrote: I rode around the hill last Sat., and it felt like every hipster was staring me down! :lol:

Priceless!

I spent the day running around Lake Washington. GORGEOUS! Put 67 miles on it just in town.
Foundations

Postby Greg » 15 Apr 2010 20:12

I got my 142cc big bore kit installed today. I love it. She finally has some get up and go in fourth gear with my 16/39 sprockets. The tone in the muffler is even better than before with a nice heartbeat in the grips at idle.
Greg

Postby MilwaukeeMadass » 16 Apr 2010 07:23

Sounds like your bike is getting leaner and meaner all the time.
Bring Back The 50
MilwaukeeMadass
Site Admin

Postby exmayor » 18 Apr 2010 18:27

Outstanding looking bike. Really like the way you have pared it down to the bare essentials.

Rick
2002 Ducati MONSTER 620
exmayor

Posts Liked: 2 times

Postby MilwaukeeMadass » 18 Apr 2010 18:36

The bike looks really great. Kick ass job Greg.
Bring Back The 50
MilwaukeeMadass
Site Admin

Next

Return to Gallery