Look Here For The Latest Madass Army and Community News.

Stock replacement clutch cable.

Mirrors, handle bars, and grips

Moderators: Greg, MilwaukeeMadass, MadMaster

Stock replacement clutch cable.

Postby rosspod » 28 Apr 2014 17:21

I'm currently unable to ride my bike due to a clutch cable. I pulled a boneheaded move and purchased an adjustable cable recommended on another thread through ebay. I assumed everything was the same size and I threw the old cable away, and then the cable I bought was too short.

I dont want to buy an oem cable because well - more than $20 for a cable just seems odd to me. Does anyone know the measurements of a stock cable or have a link to a recommended cable that will route correctly on a stock madass?

Thanks in advance.
R0ss

rosspod
Recruit

Liked Posts: 0 time
Posts Liked: 0 time

Re: Stock replacement clutch cable.

Postby Greg » 30 Apr 2014 14:48

38"
Greg

Liked Posts: 122 times
Posts Liked: 152 times

Postby mymadassisbadass » 30 Apr 2014 18:04

rosspod wrote:I'm currently unable to ride my bike due to a clutch cable. I pulled a boneheaded move and purchased an adjustable cable recommended on another thread through ebay. I assumed everything was the same size and I threw the old cable away, and then the cable I bought was too short.

I dont want to buy an oem cable because well - more than $20 for a cable just seems odd to me. Does anyone know the measurements of a stock cable or have a link to a recommended cable that will route correctly on a stock madass?

Thanks in advance.
R0ss

Here is what I used last time I replaced mine. Costs under $20 & Works great, but it doesn't come pre-lubed ( most cables don't ), be sure to use some type of lube to extend the life of the cable. Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clutch-Cable-Ho ... 2d&vxp=mtr
2006 MA 50 W/141cc Lifan semi-auto engine & custom exhaust -- Old and Tired --
mymadassisbadass
Contributor

Posts Liked: 42 times

Postby rosspod » 30 Apr 2014 18:20

mymadassisbadass wrote:
rosspod wrote:I'm currently unable to ride my bike due to a clutch cable. I pulled a boneheaded move and purchased an adjustable cable recommended on another thread through ebay. I assumed everything was the same size and I threw the old cable away, and then the cable I bought was too short.

Thanks in advance.
R0ss

Here is what I used last time I replaced mine. Costs under $20 & Works great, but it doesn't come pre-lubed ( most cables don't ), be sure to use some type of lube to extend the life of the cable. Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clutch-Cable-Ho ... 2d&vxp=mtr

Awesome to make sure I have this right before I plunk down $, this would fit a stock 125 and route under the airbox like stock?

rosspod
Recruit

Postby rosspod » 30 Apr 2014 19:40

Just measured the cable I purchased as a replacement. The inner measures a bit over 38 inches the outer measures about 35 inches. When I have tried to run this cable it would not route under the airbox with enough room to fit up top.

Is the outer supposed to be 38 inches?

rosspod
Recruit

Postby mymadassisbadass » 06 May 2014 23:44

You will need to remove the airbox assembly and re-install it once you get the cable right --if you want it like it was originally--. Why are you still running the stock airbox? It chokes the performance of your bike and its not really that expensive to upgrade to an aftermarket high performance intake & filter.
2006 MA 50 W/141cc Lifan semi-auto engine & custom exhaust -- Old and Tired --
mymadassisbadass
Contributor

Posts Liked: 42 times

Postby rosspod » 29 Jun 2014 21:25

I finally got this resolved. I had to remove the clutch cover and loosen the nut to get the arm loose enough to accept the new cable.

As far as the stock air box I made a bet with a buddy that I wouldn't mess with performance items on this bike. If I did he could name my first born. I'm okay with the stock performance of this machine. If I wanted something more I would have bought a larger displacement. Not that I'm opposed to the tinkerers in my past bikes tinkering has led to other problems.

rosspod
Recruit

Return to Controls