Look Here For The Latest Madass Army and Community News.

Lower the seat height

Wheels, tires, brakes

Moderators: Greg, MilwaukeeMadass, MadMaster

Lower the seat height

Postby Peirspeed » 03 Mar 2010 12:39

One of the most common questions we have about the 2009-2011 MadAss 125 is the 32-33" seat height. We have a couple of easy solutions and a couple that are not so easy. We've been able to lower the height to 28-29" with a combination of adjustments. NOTE: THIS MAY NOT WORK ON OLDER MADASS 50's

1.) Adjust the rear shock coil. (Lowering the ride height)
PROS: Doing this lowers the seat height by as much as 1.5". It only takes a few minutes with a spanner wrench. Your dealer can do this quickly.
CONS: This will make the rear shock softer and the ride will not be as good. Heavy riders will bottom out. Don't use this method if you bottom out the shock when you bounce up and down on the bike.

2.) Relocate the rear shock.
PROS: This lowers the seat 1" and you don't lose any ride quality. It only takes your dealer a few minutes to do this.
CONS: This should ONLY be done by a professional because the shock is under tension and a spring compressor may be needed.

3.) Change the seat.
PROS: You can lower the seat by as much as 2" if you take out some of the foam. It's easy to remove the seat and any automotive upholstery shop can do the job for under $100.
CONS: There's no going back. Once you cut out some of the foam your seat will always be that way.

Bill
Last edited by Peirspeed on 02 May 2010 23:04, edited 1 time in total.
'10 MadAss 125, graphite, Pirelli tires, LED signals, 39/15T sp, race exhaust/carb
'02 Ducati MH900e
'04 Honda Dream 50R
'97 Honda Dream 50 JDM

Rating:15.38%

Peirspeed
Vendor

Liked Posts: 0 time
Posts Liked: 8 times

Re: Lower the seat height

Postby street cred » 04 Mar 2010 05:49

Hey bill,
keep this tips coming, all great stuff

Phil.

street cred

Postby Greg » 08 Mar 2010 00:23

I tried the second option above this evening and thought I would add some clarification. A spring compressor is not required for moving the shock from the stock hole to the lower one. Removing the top and bottom bolts that mount the shock to the bike will not cause the shock to expand in any way. The only thing you need to make sure you do is raise the center of the bike. Also, stock, the valve cap at the top of the shock is facing downward. If you move the shock to the lower hole you will need to rotate it 180 degrees so that the valve cap is now facing upward. Otherwise it is probably going to hit the frame.

Though the bolt holes are only about an inch apart, since this is a pivot point, moving the shock to the lower hole actually lowered the point where my crotch meets the seat by a little over 2". It lowered the tip of the exhaust even further. My seat is now about 30.5" high; much lower than stock. I only rode it around for about 20 minutes after making the change, but am thinking I'm probably going to stick with it. After a few days of riding I'll know for sure.
Greg

Liked Posts: 122 times
Posts Liked: 152 times

Postby Cellar Yeti » 08 Mar 2010 01:01

ghouston wrote:I tried the second option above this evening and thought I would add some clarification. A spring compressor is not required for moving the shock from the stock hole to the lower one. Removing the top and bottom bolts that mount the shock to the bike will not cause the shock to expand in any way. The only thing you need to make sure you do is raise the center of the bike. Also, stock, the valve cap at the top of the shock is facing downward. If you move the shock to the lower hole you will need to rotate it 180 degrees so that the valve cap is now facing upward. Otherwise it is probably going to hit the frame.

Though the bolt holes are only about an inch apart, since this is a pivot point, moving the shock to the lower hole actually lowered the point where my crotch meets the seat by a little over 2". It lowered the tip of the exhaust even further. My seat is now about 30.5" high; much lower than stock. I only rode it around for about 20 minutes after making the change, but am thinking I'm probably going to stick with it. After a few days of riding I'll know for sure.

Thanks Ghouston. How much ground clearance do you have between the exhaust elbow and the ground? I am 5'6 and I will need to lower my seat height when I get my Sachs. My inseam is 30" So I'd really like the seat a bit lower. I'll probably shave the seat down and reshape it as well.

Cellar Yeti

Postby exmayor » 08 Mar 2010 09:26

One of the issues that hasn't entered this discussion is "sag" which is the amount of travel the rear suspension does when the rider gets on the bike. This is an improtant factor since it effects suspension travel. Here is an example of how to set it: http://www.gostar-racing.com/informatio ... set-up.htm .

You may find that after adjustment that seat height issues are not as critical. Also, you really only need to get one foot down when stopped since the MA is so light.
2002 Ducati MONSTER 620

Rating:7.69%

exmayor

Posts Liked: 2 times

Postby pierre95 » 08 Mar 2010 14:23

For me the problem on the madass is not the seat height is the balance of the bike to high rear too low on the front because the fork is too soft
This week end i modify my fork setting i put a washer 7mm thickness between the spring and the top bolt of each fork leg and i change oil and put some with viscosity 15 and i like the result best feeling under braking more stability to low and high speed and the balance is less front so rear shocks works a little better to.

Rating:7.69%

pierre95

Postby Streetcred » 09 Mar 2010 06:50

pierre,
any photos of your fork modifications?
regards

Phil
Phil
Street Cred Motorcycle Service
Australia

The "Great Madass Tour" of australia
http://www.streetcred.net.au
Streetcred
Vendor

Posts Liked: 0 time

Postby pierre95 » 09 Mar 2010 13:19

Hi
Ok next week end i"ll do photos i can't do it now because i use my Ma every days for going to my job
The modification consist to rise the preload of the spring so put washer inside, over the spring but after that you need to put oilwith bigger viscosity sae15 if not the rebound is too fast

pierre95

Postby MilwaukeeMadass » 16 Mar 2010 07:54

ghouston wrote:I tried the second option above...

How does this effect the front-back angle? Did this change your posture on the bike at all or do you still lean a little forward?
Raymond - Forum/Website Admin
2010 125 Madass "Hugo Stiglitz" | Graphite | Stage I Kit w/ Asspipe
Bring Back The 50
MilwaukeeMadass
Site Admin

Liked Posts: 125 times
Posts Liked: 116 times

Postby Greg » 16 Mar 2010 09:08

I still lean so ever so slightly forward; just not as much as before. I will definitely be keeping the bike like this. With my center of gravity just a bit lower now I feel a lot better in corners as well.
Greg

Liked Posts: 122 times
Posts Liked: 152 times

Postby MilwaukeeMadass » 16 Mar 2010 14:53

Just got back from Moto-Scoot where Andy took only about ten minutes to hook this up for me (including the 180 rotation ghouston mentioned above) and I have to say I like it. It lowered the seat by about 3/4 of an inch or so, but I can swear it makes a difference for me with adjusting the center of gravity just that much. Gravy.
Bring Back The 50
MilwaukeeMadass
Site Admin

Postby islandmadass » 24 Mar 2010 09:22

Here's another simple solution to lower your seat :idea: ..just loosen the bolts on the triple tree clamps upper and lower and let the forks ride up until it touches the handle bars and retighten everything back up thats all..i think i got about 2 1/2 lower then stock height..also i lowerd the rear shock. i dont have a dig cam to show you all but anyone can do this..the only cons about this is that your fork travel is short.
islandmadass

islandmadass

Postby MilwaukeeMadass » 24 Mar 2010 09:51

About how much travel do you have in the forks then? Compared to stock.
Bring Back The 50
MilwaukeeMadass
Site Admin

Postby Foundations » 24 Mar 2010 14:31

islandmadass wrote:Here's another simple solution to lower your seat :idea: ..just loosen the bolts on the triple tree clamps upper and lower and let the forks ride up until it touches the handle bars and retighten everything back up thats all..i think i got about 2 1/2 lower then stock height..also i lowerd the rear shock. i dont have a dig cam to show you all but anyone can do this..the only cons about this is that your fork travel is short.
islandmadass

I dunno, this just sounds like a bad idea to me. I'm still thinking of doing the rear shock treatment but not sure I wanna mess with my forks at all.
2010 MadAss 125 | Graphite | MSR Shift Lever | Bar End Mirrors | Frightline LED Brake
Foundations

Postby islandmadass » 25 Mar 2010 04:43

MilwaukeeMadass wrote:About how much travel do you have in the forks then? Compared to stock.

About 3" of front fork travel

islandmadass

Postby islandmadass » 25 Mar 2010 04:46

Foundations wrote:
islandmadass wrote:Here's another simple solution to lower your seat :idea: ..just loosen the bolts on the triple tree clamps upper and lower and let the forks ride up until it touches the handle bars and retighten everything back up thats all..i think i got about 2 1/2 lower then stock height..also i lowerd the rear shock. i dont have a dig cam to show you all but anyone can do this..the only cons about this is that your fork travel is short.
islandmadass

I dunno, this just sounds like a bad idea to me. I'm still thinking of doing the rear shock treatment but not sure I wanna mess with my forks at all.

Do it at your own risk..but i dont see any problem just sliding the forks up on the triple tree the strenght is still their throughout the whole fork..no springs to pull or cut out or cuttiing the tubes

islandmadass

Postby islandmadass » 25 Mar 2010 04:48

hope to get some pics up soon

islandmadass

Postby mr_e » 28 Apr 2010 22:28

Sooo, I tried flipping the shock 180 degrees(pointing the nipple up) and dropping it to the lower hole in the frame on my 06 50cc and either

A) The eylet on the end of the shock is too fat and I cant get the hole to line up.
B) I'm retarded

I sat and putzed with it for about a half hour, trying to lift and otherwise shuffle the bike around to see if I can get it to line up to no avail. Anyone else get their 50cc lowered through this method?

mr_e

Postby Dallas HappyAss » 30 Apr 2010 12:41

I tried the same mod on my 06, my experience was that the welding was too thick and I couldn't get the eyes to line up... I think I'm going to order the new seat to circumvent this issue. Just know you're not alone!
2006 MA50 swapped out with YX 160cc, Asspipe Exhaust

Holding it down for Dallas Texas

Sprocket combo: 17:39 Top verified speed: 76mph
Dallas HappyAss
Mod-Up Squad

Liked Posts: 5 times
Posts Liked: 10 times

Postby mr_e » 01 May 2010 13:19

Good to know it wasn't option B

:D :D

mr_e

Postby Peirspeed » 02 May 2010 23:03

mr_e wrote:Sooo, I tried flipping the shock 180 degrees(pointing the nipple up) and dropping it to the lower hole in the frame on my 06 50cc and either

A) The eylet on the end of the shock is too fat and I cant get the hole to line up.
B) I'm retarded

I sat and putzed with it for about a half hour, trying to lift and otherwise shuffle the bike around to see if I can get it to line up to no avail. Anyone else get their 50cc lowered through this method?

Guys, I should have said that the mods I suggested are for Model Year 2009, 2010, 2011. I have no idea what Sachs did before we started importing them. I know there are many changes we did; like the bolts on the seat brackets are 20% larger, the bar clamps are different, newer switches, etc.

Bill
'10 MadAss 125, graphite, Pirelli tires, LED signals, 39/15T sp, race exhaust/carb
'02 Ducati MH900e
'04 Honda Dream 50R
'97 Honda Dream 50 JDM

Peirspeed
Vendor

Posts Liked: 8 times

Postby cwillito » 03 May 2010 22:38

So guys, my work around to this issue may be a bit extreme but it worked for my 2006 model.

What I did was as followed:

1) I removed the seat and the bracket for the seat. Looking at the four bolts holes for the seat bracket I trimmed the front two holes so they are flush two the inside weld joint. Basically, I trimmed off the ¼ inch or so off the inside of the bracket that rests against the frame.

2) I then took some flat aluminum stock about ¼ thick (about how much I cut off the front bracket holes) and “fabricated” 2 brackets. I cut out two 6 inch long x 2 inch tall sticks. Then using that stick I cut out, I drilled out two holes at the top of the 2 inch stick to match the two holes in the frame where the bracket was. With the seat and the bracket off the bike I now have a 6 x 2 x ¼ thick piece of aluminum on each side of the frame.

3) Here is the hard part. I set the seat with the trimmed down bracket over the fabricated adapters and marked the holes on the bottom of the 2 inch bracket as well as pushing the seat back about an inch. Be careful with this; make sure you triple measure the holes! You only get one shot at it or you start all over.

4) Assuming a few things (the brackets were cut to match, the holes are drilled perfect, and the brackets are level with each other to start) this should take about three hours from start to finish. You will need four extra nuts and four extra bolts to blot the seat bracket to the new adapters.

This seems like a lot of extra work for a few inches but for me it worked. It lowered the seat only about 1.5 inches at best BUT more importantly it leveled out the seat. I didn’t like the forward angle the factory seat was at so having the freedom to drill the new holes where ever I wanted into the adapters was a blessing.

So in summery, I lowered the seat. I was able two push back the seat a bit. And finally, I was able to get rid of the weird angle and level out the seat for a more comfortable ride. (for me)

I KNOW PICTURES WOULD HELP. Give me a day to get them posted them.

Hope this helps the 2006 model owners out there!!!!

Rating:15.38%

cwillito

Postby MilwaukeeMadass » 04 May 2010 10:27

Very cool - thanks for sharing this. The pics should be interesting.
Bring Back The 50
MilwaukeeMadass
Site Admin

Postby cwillito » 04 May 2010 20:07

I am sooooo sorry. Being new to this sight I am not sure how to post pics yet. I have them! I am retarted :) just give just a bit longer. I will get it-

cwillito

Postby MilwaukeeMadass » 05 May 2010 08:11

I think the biggest part to the images thing is having a place (server) to host them. If you don't, I can host them so that they can be posted.
Bring Back The 50
MilwaukeeMadass
Site Admin

Next

Return to Chassis