Look Here For The Latest Madass Army and Community News.

which engine to use??

Pistons, cylinders, cylinder head, lubrication

Moderators: Greg, MilwaukeeMadass, MadMaster

Re: which engine to use??

Postby fastfred » 03 Jan 2012 04:17

G,day all,
Fast fred a noob from melbourne here. just sold my gs500f and bought the madass 125cc. what engine do i use for an upgrade? my needs is an engine that can sit on 100 kms/hr ie 65mph all day- in other words a road engine. most off the engines ive seen are racing engines- so they call themselves.
1. ive heard motoscoot has discontinued lifan and yx engines. is this true? and why?
2. the local mechs tell me the lifans and yxs are unreliable for the road and the pitster pro has immense starting problems. STEWPED - what is the right way to kick start a high comp engine?
3.another local mech says the most reliable is the zongshen 140cc - it has no starting problems and the stock exhaust is enough. he says it will reach 100kms/hr but i reckon it will accelerate slowly and redline to reach 100 but taller front gearing ie 17t and a smaller rear 39t should help.
but i prefer pushing a button and used me old mums hair drier on those cold mornings on the sparkplug area- worked like a charm i never had a problem starting the 250 r fireblade and the gs500. dont use a heat gun it will melt those wires. is kick start easy on those cold mornings?
4. i dont need a loud exhaust just one that keeps the noise level below 94 db as required here.
5. getting info from sellers is hard, but vince the tbolt usa manager reccomended the piranha 150 e-start and the lifan e-starts but the piranha says its a race engine and i have doubts on the lifans now.
so i have a migraine now. can the gurus give me a definitive answer like greg, milwaukee, cbinvb, sabretooth and those from my part of the globe apex and madassskwurl? anyone?
ta in advance

fastfred

Liked Posts: 0 time
Posts Liked: 1 time

Postby cometulm » 03 Jan 2012 20:36

1) They did not want to deal with the kickstart gear shredding it seems when I spoke with them.

2) This is how you kickstart your engine

3) I love the pitster pro engine (155z) and can do 60-65 in 3rd gear no problem.

http://shop.pitsterpro.com/close-ratio155engine.aspx

If you are looking to push a button your option is the 150 electric start by ooracing or piranna as you mentioned.

http://www.ooracing.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=3426

4) There are plenty of exhaust that can be loud or quiet. Check any pitbike store online or ebay. I use the asspipe and it is very loud so you may not want that..

5) No reason to doubt the lifans as there are plenty out there with no issues. Mostly user if there is an issue. And the piranna is most likely the same thing rebranded. There are some threads on this forum and there is a lot of good into. Look for some posts from cbinvb as he points out the best options.
Rides:
    - Sachs Madass 2010 155 Z/185 R "coMet"
    - Harley Davidson - 1200 Custom Iron "Red"
    - Honda - 1973 CT90
    - Land Rover Sport HSE - 2008 4.4 V8
    - Ford - 1997 Custom Camper Van - Triton V8
    - Ford - 1965 Shelby Cobra 427
cometulm
Supporter

Liked Posts: 4 times
Posts Liked: 14 times

Postby fastfred » 07 Jan 2012 17:22

ta cometulm,
that video was great.
i had emailed adrian from ooracing- he said go for the 150-e start, it was an all round good engine for the 16bhp build with the twin exh, not the 19.6 build . reason? up to 16bhp the twin exhaust would keep noise levels to 94db any bhp above that would take it over 100db. and single exhaust even big bore would need a restrictive muffler to keep db low. this would cause the engine to cook. hence the need to split the exhaust.
i cannot take chances on the exhausts as i need to keep the bike legal for insurance purposes. i dont care if the bike gets totalled but any accident especially with 3rd party injuries would put it squarely on my shoulders, and no insurance payout. i intend to ride the bike everyday as a commuter and a tourer.

fastfred

Posts Liked: 1 time

Postby cometulm » 08 Jan 2012 12:56

Great glad you got it worked out. Lucky for me there is no sound ordinance in Salt Lake.. And I do not really mind how loud it is as I wear a full face helmet. :icon-biggrin:

Let us know how you end up liking the 150 electric!
Rides:
    - Sachs Madass 2010 155 Z/185 R "coMet"
    - Harley Davidson - 1200 Custom Iron "Red"
    - Honda - 1973 CT90
    - Land Rover Sport HSE - 2008 4.4 V8
    - Ford - 1997 Custom Camper Van - Triton V8
    - Ford - 1965 Shelby Cobra 427
cometulm
Supporter

Liked Posts: 4 times
Posts Liked: 14 times

Postby evilwerkz » 21 Apr 2012 00:29

HELPP PLEASE :)

I'm thorn between Trail Buddys 155 Zongshen engine :

http://mytrailbuddystore.com/155ccengin ... ine-1.aspx

and FTP's 160 engine ( brand? ) :

http://www.fasttrails.com/Item268/160cc ... ngine.aspx

the 155 Zongshen engine has great specs.......
Max. Power:10.5 kw/9500 rpm
Rated torque:11.5 N.m/8500 rpm

no specs on the FTP 160 engine....but great reputation....

the price diff is tearing me apart, along with the fact that since I'm going to bring it to Mexico, well, there won't be any warranty on it......and the electrical diff is not a problem, I'm going to re do the entire electrical bit on my madass and I'll be using a single headight with a 25w hid kit like I've been using in my modded honda C110 ( original stator and batt ) and it hasnt failed me yet....

SOOOO, what would you choose ? the Zongshen based on priced and performance......or the FTP 160 engine hands down....even if it's 150 clams higher......help a fellow madassian out 8-)

evilwerkz
Gearhead

Liked Posts: 1 time
Posts Liked: 7 times

Postby MattM » 08 Jun 2012 18:21

I have the second of those two engines (Fast trails) in my madass, the YX160, and I do have the 4 valve head. It was in the bike when I bought it.
This engine is kickstart only, with no place to put an electric start.
It does run very well, and kickstarts in 1-2 kicks. Top speed with a 150lb driver could be over 70mph, depending on which head, exhaust, and cam etc.. you use. I am 195lbs and with 15/39 gearing I can get 64-65mph, but rarely go above 50-55. It says race engine, but is easily set up for the road. Shifting is 4 up, and pretty smooth. You need an Asspipe or a gutted madass 125 exhaust for this motor. I use the gutted 125.
If you go with this engine, look into the 2V head, that may actually work better according to some reports.
I do not like that this engine is kickstart only. I would prefer electric start, and if this engine ever fails, may go with a 150 electric.
I do not like that the 4 valve head is a shimmed valve head. You cannot adjust the valve clearance unless you remove the head. Trying to measure the valve clearance is even difficult.
This head uses the smallest spark plug I have seen. It is an NGK ER9EH. It is removed with a 1/2" socket, and has a tiny threaded end.
Available, yes, but you won't find these plugs at your local Pep Boys. Odd plug=inconvenience, and it could probably strip more easily, although I have had no problems.

MattM

Posts Liked: 2 times

Postby digable007 » 08 Aug 2012 13:52

y
Last edited by digable007 on 16 Aug 2012 10:53, edited 1 time in total.
digable007

Postby Sambones » 13 Sep 2012 19:57

Hi guys,
This is Sambones, a noob from North Carolina. Ive been reading all this stuff for a while now and Im still not sure what engine to get or where to buy it. I have a 2006 50cc automatic that a guy I know pulled out of a junkyard and it barely runs. I wanna just put a larger engine with a standard transmission on it instead of tinkering with the slow one that its got now. Reliability is my top concern since this will be my daily commuter but id also like it to be able to go 55mph and I really cant have it be too loud. I think Im going to order it from Fast Trails because OO Racing says they cant ship complete engines to the US anymore (something about insurance issues?) and Moto Scoot only seems to sell the stock 125cc (and they want an arm and a leg for it). I'm waiting on Jay at Fast Trails to get back to me with his recommendation but I really want to know what you guys suggest as well. I know I'll also have to upgrade my exhaust and Im leaning toward the stock 125 but I might tear the guts out of it as long as its not going to be really loud.

So, my question is... which engine will best suit my needs? And, will it just bolt right on with no surprises if I buy a kit they sell for the MadAss? Also, has anybody had a bad experience with Fast Trails lately? I've seen a lot of bad reviews but they were all from a while ago.
Junkyard MadAss Re-Born
'06 50cc Auto (barely ran)
OOR 140cc - VM26 - OOR Twin Exhaust
Sambones

Postby digable007 » 23 Oct 2012 19:48

Has anyone used the new G2 YX150cc engine, it looks like a hybrid Lifan 150cc with a YX150cc side casze.

The bulb at the back of the YX150cc motor is missing hence I thought it was a Lifan 150cc body. Has anyone ever gotten a reply from their email, looking to find some more info about the engine. Thanks!!!
digable007

Postby BLACKisBAD » 23 Oct 2012 23:09

Yes some more info would be great 8-)
BLACKisBAD
MadMaster

Posts Liked: 43 times

Postby digable007 » 18 Nov 2012 00:09

Found this cool mod regarding "decomp valves" on planet minis site:

http://planetminis.com/forums/chinese-i ... eup-2.html

This is a slick job and I was wondering if anyone else had done this, I am looking at the Piranha 140cc with maybe a bored out cylinder to 57mm to make the 146cc, if I can find the 57.4 and bump that up to 149cc's then even better. Its the compression that I have heard can break your leg if the kick start kicks back. It seems this guy used a stihl decomp valve:

http://www.lawnmowerpros.com/Stihl/Stih ... Valves.asp

Does anyone have any pics of this on an engine, trying to get an idea on placement for the Piranha 140cc with or without the 146cc kit. Apparently it works well, the chainsaw vid shows how it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmNhQtsG-tA

TB Parts has a very slick looking decomp valve setup but its for V2 heads, you have to send the head in to have it machined, takes maybe 2 weeks. Same concept it is just the placement. I will ask the shop how difficult, looks slick and works.
digable007

Postby Sambones » 21 Nov 2012 18:55

Thanks for the input Rulg, I actually went with the 140cc from OOracing and I couldnt be happier. After talking with him for a while he put together a kit with a new carb and their sweet twin exhaust, 428 chain, sprockets, cables, new reg/rec that works with the stator in their engine and a bunch of other parts that I needed (not really related to the engine kit) and in the end it all went together rather easily.
Junkyard MadAss Re-Born
Sambones

Postby Assuk » 23 Nov 2012 01:12

You wont be disapointed with the 140, ive had it for well over a year and it just gets better. Pulls like a train and makes overtaking and pulling out at junctions so much safer. Just be careful with the kick back when starting, i swear my spine has been compressed from kick starting it half asleep :lol:
Assuk
Vendor

Liked Posts: 14 times
Posts Liked: 22 times

Postby Sambones » 23 Nov 2012 09:59

Yeah, it can kick back on you alright, it makes me nervous starting it when its already warmed up. They say not to give it any gas when starting but mine just wont start hot unless I give it a little throttle. Do you have a Mikuni carb Assuk? They gave me a PWK but I feel like if I had a VM26 I wouldnt have these starting issues.
Junkyard MadAss Re-Born
Sambones

Previous

Return to Engine