Look Here For The Latest Madass Army and Community News.

which engine to use??

Pistons, cylinders, cylinder head, lubrication

Moderators: Greg, MilwaukeeMadass, MadMaster

Re: which engine to use??

Postby Cbinvb » 14 Oct 2010 12:35

The one from china is less if you factor shipping in.

And yea, it could probly run all sorts of extras like hids, 12v dc outlets, cooling fan for oil cooler, fuel injection pump. You can get really creative.
Madass 2.0 a work in progress.
Cbinvb
Gearhead

Liked Posts: 46 times
Posts Liked: 75 times

Postby Dallas HappyAss » 18 Oct 2010 20:05

Use the 3rd generation YX 160... the engine hauls!! I'm talking zero to 60 in 10 seconds! Well, maybe not that fast, but not far off!
2006 MA50 swapped out with YX 160cc, Asspipe Exhaust

Holding it down for Dallas Texas

Sprocket combo: 17:39 Top verified speed: 76mph
Dallas HappyAss
Mod-Up Squad

Liked Posts: 5 times
Posts Liked: 10 times

Postby Cbinvb » 18 Oct 2010 23:39

I suggest the Pitster Pro Zongshen 155Z or the HO version. Better metallurgy and quality control standards.

You can buy a whole kit from www.mytrailbuddystore.com with everything you need for 400, free shipping.

Looks like they are sold out of the one w/o lighting coil. So if you keep an eye out. I would get that one because you will save 55 bucks cuz you'll have to swap the stator no matter which one you get.

http://mytrailbuddystore.com/engines.aspx
Cbinvb
Gearhead

Postby Conan » 10 Nov 2010 02:17

Thanks for all the advice in this thread. Looks like I'll be going for the pitsterpro/zongshen z160 over the piranha 140 i originally wanted and I got the chinese stator from earlier in this thread - goddamn it's heavy. Will let you know how it goes (after the few months it takes me to sort everything out :D )

Are the z160 and z155 klx type heads? Or can i use the stock exhaust for the moment ...
Conan

Liked Posts: 0 time
Posts Liked: 1 time

Postby milfblaster » 11 Nov 2010 22:28

Cbinvb, do you like the Piranha 160?

milfblaster

Liked Posts: 14 times
Posts Liked: 4 times

Postby Cbinvb » 12 Nov 2010 22:21

Milfblaster - Meh. I personally lean toward Zongshens because of better quality control standards. The kit I listed earlier in the thread has the best deal I have seen online for any 160(ish)cc motor.

Conan - Yes, the the Z155/Z160 have KLX type heads with the corresponding exhaust outlet angles.

You can use the stock exhaust if you bend the pipe. Do this by mounting the motor like normal and bolt up the exhaust, not super tight and without the gasket. Then swing the exhaust out perpendicular to the bike and get the header bend as hot as you can, plumbing torch works well or you can run you bike for a bit. I like the torch. Once that bottom bend gets real nice and hot use quick controlled jerks to bend the pipe upwards. Make sure to check the position of the muffler periodically by swinging it back to the mounting points under the seat.

The hotter the area between the red lines the better.
Cbinvb
Gearhead

Postby Conan » 13 Nov 2010 04:01

Cool info on modding the stock pipe, I already got a cheap straight through to go on it for the moment. Currently my issue is the chinese stator isn't going to fit on the engines stator plate ... will have to see what I can do.
Conan

Postby Sir_Jaon » 14 Nov 2010 01:54

look at fasttrailsperformance.com those stators might do you good.
Jason
2008 AMG Nitro - 50cc - casoli cdi - K&N pod filter
Sir_Jaon
Fanatic

Liked Posts: 36 times
Posts Liked: 9 times

Postby Conan » 16 Nov 2010 02:58

Sir_Jaon wrote:look at fasttrailsperformance.com those stators might do you good.

I did try before i got the chinese one but FTP isn't responding to me. All I really need (i think) is a suitable stator plate, the issue is that the little magnetic pickup mount is too close. Anyone know an outer rotor stator plate that would fit the z155/160, with the pickup extended off the side?

like in this picture:

Except that that plate mounts the stator in the wrong place ...
Conan

Postby Ghstryder101 » 22 Nov 2010 03:43

do not get the stator from alex's warehouse for it is an electric start phasor. id g with one from moto-scoot of fasttrails.
2006 madass w/ 125cc lifan

Ghstryder101

Posts Liked: 0 time

Postby Ghstryder101 » 22 Nov 2010 03:46

i got mine from motoscoot for about 80 bucks and it was plug and play:)
2006 madass w/ 125cc lifan

Ghstryder101

Posts Liked: 0 time

Postby chrink » 05 Mar 2011 14:36

So I saw this new engine on FTPs site.

Sachs Madass 160cc 4 Valve
http://www.fasttrails.com/Item271/Sachs ... adass.aspx

Anyone have any info/input on this?

Thanks,

-Chris

chrink

Posts Liked: 2 times

Postby Cbinvb » 06 Mar 2011 22:09

check planetminis.com for more info on that engine. its competitor is the Zongshen 155. seems like the zong has a slightly larger fanbase, including me, because of a few engineering advancements. you can buy that 4v head and put it on a Zong 155 and get the same motor (slightly better) for about the same money.

Imo, that 4v head is out-shined by the V2 head from hondatraibikes.com. better design and better flow. about the same price as well.

Zong 160 HO ---- $500 from http://www.g2moto.com/live_148.htm

Rating:7.69%

Cbinvb
Gearhead

Postby chrink » 06 Mar 2011 22:50

Thanks Cbinvb,

I knew you would come to the rescue on this question. I am trying to gather as much info as possible regarding what is a good swap. Once grad school is over I was planning on treating myself to some more two wheeled fun. Was thinking about buying a larger bike again but I really don't need it and thought that I might just tweak what I have.

Thanks again,

chrink

Posts Liked: 2 times

Postby jrytan » 21 Mar 2011 21:45

Hi guys,

Been reading this thread for information on engine swap. Does anyone know if this engine will suit my MA50?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 1846wt_905

I've asked the seller if the engine would fit the MA50. His reply was that it would fit any CRF style pitbike from 50cc-150cc. I'm kinda noob at this and it still doesn't tell me if it would fit my bike :(. Can anyone advise? Thanks!

Cheers,
Jer
jrytan

Liked Posts: 9 times
Posts Liked: 7 times

Postby sabertooth_buterfly » 22 Mar 2011 05:19

Hi jrytan, I am assuming that you’re in Australia? If so I'd be looking at DHZ for a motor rather than KDF, DHZ has a huge rep in the mini scene unlike many other suppliers.
Do you particularly want a semi auto? if so I'd recommend
http://www.dhz.com.au/product_info.php? ... 2dff3040d9
If not DHZ has several other motors to chose from that would be good upgrades for a MA. Of the 140cc motors I'd recommend the zongshen over the Lifan as it is a little more rev happy. then there is the pitsterpro z motors. Any of these motors will fit a MA but you will need a stator to get it setup and charging the battery. I have had excelent results using the 00racing stator.
http://www.ooracing.com/store/index.php ... uctId=3163
Madass.... it's more than an obsession, it’s an obsessive compulsive disorder
sabertooth_buterfly
Gearhead

Liked Posts: 3 times
Posts Liked: 35 times

Postby jrytan » 22 Mar 2011 09:57

sabertooth_buterfly wrote:Hi jrytan, I am assuming that you’re in Australia? If so I'd be looking at DHZ for a motor rather than KDF, DHZ has a huge rep in the mini scene unlike many other suppliers.
Do you particularly want a semi auto? if so I'd recommend
http://www.dhz.com.au/product_info.php? ... 2dff3040d9
If not DHZ has several other motors to chose from that would be good upgrades for a MA. Of the 140cc motors I'd recommend the zongshen over the Lifan as it is a little more rev happy. then there is the pitsterpro z motors. Any of these motors will fit a MA but you will need a stator to get it setup and charging the battery. I have had excelent results using the 00racing stator.
http://www.ooracing.com/store/index.php ... uctId=3163

Hey there,

Thanks for that info!!! The site is awesome. I don't really understand the stator part though. I've been reading off http://www.scootnfast.com/Madass/Motor_swap.htm and the engine swap tutorial looks do-able. However I don't understand what the part from OOracing does. What would happen if I didn't have it?

Cheers,
Jer
jrytan

Postby Cbinvb » 22 Mar 2011 15:34

An "electrical nightmare" is what you'd have. Buy the 3-phase madass stator from Fasttrails/com and save your self a lot of time and money.
Cbinvb
Gearhead

Postby satur9 » 22 Mar 2011 17:31

check marketplace forum

satur9
Fanatic

Posts Liked: 19 times

Postby sabertooth_buterfly » 22 Mar 2011 18:22

Having had both stators and encountering major problems with the fast trails one and considering that the 00racing stator is higher quality by a long shot I'd recommend the 00racing one, it was truly plug and play where the fast trails one wasn't.
Particularly if your in Aus as the cost of freight and the time to deliver is prohibitive for returning items.
sabertooth_buterfly
Gearhead

Postby Cbinvb » 22 Mar 2011 18:54

Saber, did you have the 50cc 2006 madass?
Cbinvb
Gearhead

Postby sabertooth_buterfly » 22 Mar 2011 19:37

Hi Cbinvb,
Yea my bike was a 06 50 auto. Now it's a 06 mongrel :auto-dirtbike: LOL.
sabertooth_buterfly
Gearhead

Postby Cbinvb » 22 Mar 2011 21:41

I had the same bike, so I agree that it would have been a hassle had I not completely rewired the thing earlier that week. The FTP stator is meant for already existing 3-phase systems so If your bike is not 3-phase(indicated by 3 yellow wires coming off the stator = 3-phase) you will have some serious electrical sorting to do. I see now the OORacing stator would be good for those who dont have a 3-phase system and want to upgrade to an aftermarket motor and dont want to fool with the electrics.

I suppose the best way to help jrytan is to find out what kind of bike he's riding then we can point him the right direction.
Cbinvb
Gearhead

Postby sabertooth_buterfly » 22 Mar 2011 23:04

The thing that impressed me with 00racing was that Adrian requested pics of my existing stator plug so that he could match the new one to it. Having had both stators it is easy to see the differences and the 00racing one is a much better stator.
When I ordered from FTP I stated that it was to fit a 06 50 so I assumed that they would be aware of what was required, the other problem with the FTP stator was that when I fitted the stator the signal bump on the flywheel hit the ignition signal sender, requiring me to mod it.
As jrytan has stated that his bike is a 50 I assumed that it would be the same as mine, but you are correct maybe the year does make a difference in what stator was fitted originally.
sabertooth_buterfly
Gearhead

Postby jrytan » 23 Mar 2011 00:08

Cbinvb wrote:I had the same bike, so I agree that it would have been a hassle had I not completely rewired the thing earlier that week. The FTP stator is meant for already existing 3-phase systems so If your bike is not 3-phase(indicated by 3 yellow wires coming off the stator = 3-phase) you will have some serious electrical sorting to do. I see now the OORacing stator would be good for those who dont have a 3-phase system and want to upgrade to an aftermarket motor and dont want to fool with the electrics.

I suppose the best way to help jrytan is to find out what kind of bike he's riding then we can point him the right direction.

Hey guys,

Ok... I'm reading your posts and I must say that the both of you are GURUs!!! :bow-blue: Awesome information so far. Though I'm not getting everything.

I have a MA 50cc. I'm thinking of switching the engine to the Lifan 110cc Semi-Auto engine that Sabertoot-Butterfly had recommended. I can't go higher because all the other engine's require a manual clutch. Though I know how to ride one, I'm not licensed to ride one (I'm working on getting my license). Hence, I'm limited by either getting the 75cc Big Bore from OOracing or changing the engine entirely. Honestly, I have no idea which one is better. Money wise both are going to set me back by a similar amount. Considering that I'm really really noob at this stuff (this is my first bike), I'm just going with which ever is easier, though I'm kinda leaning toward the 110cc as I think it has more power than upgrading to a 75cc Kit.

I emailed OOracing about the stator to ask if it would fit the 110cc engine as well as my stock engine. But I have a really noob question... I'm looking in the MA Repair Manual and I can't find the stator anywhere. Is this also known as the alternator? If so, does that mean I need a Flywheel puller and universal holder?

Sorry for the long post and noobie questions.

Thanks!
Jer
jrytan

PreviousNext

Return to Engine